MSW@USC Advanced Standing Admissions Requirements
Applications for the Advanced Standing Program are currently open on a rolling basis until July 2017.
Applicants must meet the minimum standards for admission, outlined below, to be considered for the Seneca MSW@USC program. USC offers admission to those applicants considered among the most qualified on the basis of professional and scholastic achievement, along with their aptitude for graduate study.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program within the past five years
- Overall GPA of 3.0, with a minimum 3.5 GPA in social work courses
- Two letters of recommendation from a BSW professor and agency field placement supervisor; a third recommendation is optional and may come from an academic or professional reference. (These individuals should specifically indicate they are recommending you for the advanced standing program.)
- Experience in providing service to people is preferred
- Potential for professional competence, strong interest and motivation, and commitment to social work values, such as an appreciation for cultural and ethnic diversity; belief in the dignity and freedom of every individual; promotion of social justice and equal access to resources; and institutional responsiveness to human needs and social change
- Personal qualifications such as sensitivity and responsiveness in relationships, capacity for self-awareness, concern for the needs of others, ability for abstract reasoning, conceptual thinking and strong communication skills
- Applicants must be employed by Seneca at least three months before the program’s start date. Enrollment is contingent upon a supervisor providing a positive recommendation to participate in the program. If you do not receive a positive recommendation, you may still apply to USC, but will not receive the scholarship nor participate with the Seneca MSW@USC cohort.
To apply, please visit the Advanced Standing Applications Process page.
For more information on admission, please visit the Admission FAQ page.